The trees are in bloom, and the weather is shaping up to be slightly overcast but free from rain this Saturday! (This Saturday morning it's still true! Hope to see everyone!) A perfect day all considered for a Craft Fest. Here are some things to remember that might help make the most of your day at GO WEST! Craft Fest at The Woodlands.
- SEPTA tokens. The Fest is right across from the 40th Street trolley portal, served by the 12, 13, 34 and 36 trolleys. Hop on any westbound "Green Line" subway/surface car from Center City (EXCEPT the 10) and arrive in minutes. While there is limited parking along the road through the Woodlands we recommend getting there by alternate means. If you do drive please don’t park in front of the Festival, parking is allowed farther along the path.
- Comfortable shoes. While the Fest is conveniently close to the entrance, visitors may choose to explore farther into the 54-acre grounds and even tour the Hamilton Mansion, a grand example of 18th century neoclassical architecture. William Hamilton, an avid botanist, collected and planted dozens of various trees on the estate, many of which are now some of our nation's oldest and largest specimens, thriving among the monuments for over 30 thousand eternal Philadelphians. Stroll the winding paths and see for yourself.
- Your Gift List. Our talented vendors make a huge variety of products, like jewelry, clothing, accessories, fine art, cards, toys, candles, teas and more, even honey produced right there on the grounds of the Woodlands. Keep in mind your loved ones' birthdays, weddings, graduations and other gift-giving occasions like Mother's Day and Father's Day. Your unique GO WEST! gift will be fondly remembered because it was made with love and care by a local artisan.
- Cash. Although some of our vendors do accept credit cards, not all do and there is a good chance that the irresistible treasure you discovered may not be seen again (even at VIX). Also did you know when you pay by credit card to a small business they’re losing valuable dollars per transaction to a huge credit card company? We’re happy to take your cards, but we like cash much better. The closest ATM is at Mill Creek Tavern, 4200 Chester Avenue.
- A Blanket for a Picnic Lunch . The Woodlands is a perfect place for a picnic, Black Orchid will have veggie & vegan cheesesteaks & hotdogs, Taco Angeleno will be debuting all manner of Mexican style tacos & The Satellite Café will be there for all of your coffee needs.
- Your Sweet Tooth, with gourmet popsicles from the Lil Pop Shop and Weckerleys Ice Cream it will be hard not to resist something, not to mention vegan treats from The Satellite Cafe!
- A child, who will have tons of fun singing and playing music with Ann from the Green Tambourine at noon & Jay Sand of All Around This World at 2pm. They'll be mesmerized by fancy juggling tricks and trapeze artists and get their face painted and do nature inspired (it is earth day after all) arts & crafts courtesy of the West Philly Coop School & the UC Arts League.
- A camera, to capture memories of a perfect spring day, the flowering trees, historic monuments, and the dazzling aerial feats that tinycircus will perform at 3pm! Not to mention the pair of red tailed hawks that are frequently spotted and are nesting somewhere in the Woodlands.
- Your senses of curiosity, creativity and wonder, and enough time to experience the day.